I certainly don't love canned food and if I had access to good fresh food I would stay away from it, but... here often I have no choice but to resort to some canned items.
There are things that come in a can, which are just completely shocking to me and I wouldn't go anywhere near them. Such as these interesting examples from the local supermarket shelf:
- Chicken and asparagus pie
- Macaroni and cheese
- Sausages in brine
- The full monty (the picture on the can is all meatballs and sausages....)
- Hamburgers in brown sauce
- Pork and beans
- Canned pork in natural juices
- Beef chunks
- And my favorite - reformed ham.
But there are some things which can actually be pretty decent. I often use canned corn, kidney beans, chickpeas, olives and tomatoes. Last night for dinner we had a baked artichoke dip and a bean, corn and chickpea salad with feta. By any standard, these were pretty delicious. The recipes are below:
For the baked artichoke dip you will need:
Serves 4 people as a snack
- 1 x 400g tin of artichokes in water or brine (drained)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or you can use mayonnaise)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, more for sprinkling over the top
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper
- Puree the drained artichokes and garlic in food processor
- Mix the yogurt and parmesan cheese
- Combine all the ingredients
- Season with salt and pepper
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top
- Put into oven proof dish and bake in a medium oven for around 45 minutes until the top is golden brown
- Serve hot with fresh bread, corn chips or carrot and celery sticks
For the chickpea, corn and bean salad you will need:
Serves 2 or 3 people as a side dish
- 1/2 400g tin of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 400g tin of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3/4 325g tin of corn kernels (drained)
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of feta cheese
- 1 small hot chili, chopped
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- A dash of olive oil
- Combine the chickpeas, kidney beans and corn.
- Crumble in the feta cheese.
- Add chili, olive oil, lime juice.
- Mix all ingredients together, season to taste.
- Add chopped coriander.