Tuesday, March 18, 2008

And we're back...

As soon as we arrived in Casablanca it already started to feel like we were back. Delayed flights, no information about delayed flights or when we might actually be leaving, and lots of shouting, pushing and shoving. And there was no helicopter when we arrived - so we had to get the ferry across to Freetown (remember that hell I mentioned not long ago...) - anyway, we're back.


Marrakech was amazing - I swear it's the Bali of North Africa (without the sea). It is an absolutely stunning city with fantastic food. I could go back many times, heck I could easily live there. The food was a warm welcome after the mediocrity of Egyptian cuisine (sorry Egyptian friends... I'm sure there is some good stuff out there, I just didn't find it).


Sunset near Djemaa el-Fna square

Food stalls in Djemaa el-Fna square

The snail guy

Eating snails from the snail guy - actually these were pretty awful, nothing against snails but these didn't taste good.

My kind of food - bread, potato, egg, oil and chili sauce


Delicious mint tea


In the souk

Overwhelmed by slippers

These little guys were delicious - tajine full of yummy vegetables, stock, and.. cow's gut

A cooking class with Fatiha


Making cous-cous. I hereby swear to never make instant cous-cous again.

Our evening feast

We stocked up on spices


You won't get fresher chicken than this

See the guys still alive on the back shelf

1 comment:

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds AMAZING! Morocco is one of the places on the top of my travel list! Your life sounds like the one I want to be living! There is an amazing energy one gets when living outside the comforts of what they are born into. I think what you and your boyfriend are doing is amazing!
I cannot wait to hear more!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! Hope to see you on the forum!