Sunday, February 24, 2008

Smuggled celery, potato and carrot soup

Toshi was away for most of this week on a work trip to Kambia (in the north-west of the country).

Normally when it's just me I go back to basics when it comes to food - like to my all time favorite comfort food - a huge serving of mashed potatoes and two fried eggs. Disgusted? I can't get enough of it. It makes me so happy. I settle back into the couch, eat, and watch dvds of polish soap operas, which my mum loads me up with each time I go home.

I could have eaten this happily every day Toshi was away except that I had a big bag of celery in the fridge. Now, celery may not sound very exciting to you - but I have not had any for at least a year and can't get any here. I've never been a huge fan of celery, but suddenly I found myself craving it - couldn't stop thinking about it! This celery was flown in from the US and smuggled inside Susie's suitcase and she so very kindly gave me two whole bunches of it.

I had a few carrots and potatoes lying around so I decided to make soup. And what absolutely delicious soup it was.

To make this celery, potato and carrot soup you will need:
  • 3-4 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
  • Two (small) bunches (or one large bunch) of celery, sliced.
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 medium potatoes, diced
  • 1.5 liters vegetable or chicken stock
  • Salt, pepper
  • Yoghurt or cream to garnish (optional)
  1. Melt the butter (or olive oil), add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.
  2. Add the carrots, potatoes and celery, cook for a couple of minutes.
  3. Add the stock, bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook until all vegetables are tender This should take around 20-25 minutes.
  4. Blend the soup until reasonably smooth.
  5. Season with salt and pepper
  6. Serve and top with a bit of cream or yogurt. Grind some pepper on top.
I don't have any photos of the soup as my photographer was away.

The photo below is of a Sierra Leonean woman grinding groundnuts for a delicious local dish - groundnut stew. I will share a recipe of this soon.